Wednesday, July 26, 2006

When a milestone becomes a pasttime becomes a landmark

Once again, too many months without an update. Suffice to say (1) Ursinus did end (with Jose Narbona co-proctoring the final with me on his visit from Houston) (2) I went to Bolivia and it was amazing; I sortof joined a band, believe it or not (3) Isabel turned out to be a false friend, (4) The Selma-Jon wedding was also a sham, (5) my roommate Tim started an internship harvesting body parts from dead people, including a 4-month-year-old baby he sowed up, (6) we threw a big 5 de mayo party and a smaller 4 de julio shindig and (7) unbelieveably, I got engaged. (This from a guy who as recently as a year ago was deliriously happy about permanent bachelorhood. Read the blog backlog at your discretion.) Listen, here's my philosophical question: Is it possible to be so happy about something that your exterior goes cautious/pragmatic rather than giddy or even pshaw? Is is possible that life's best turns of event [I believe that to be the proper plural of the idiom "turn of events"] result not in the seeing of animated multi-colored butterflies around one's head but rather the massacre of same? This has been my reaction -- the assertion of my machismo -- experiencing fiancée-hood as a chance to see the world more clearly, without delusions, butterflies or otheriwise (rhyme intended). Ellen is great about it. I think she's very happy about rolling up her sleeves, putting shovel to earth, and making this thing work well, ... that's love. I can only stand to learn by watching, which ain't a bad gift to recieve from a girl who could have anyone she wanted. Anyway, I'm teaching a summer course right now and I have grading (and packing for the move) to do, so I'll leave it at that. In parting, here's a link to Ellen's cousins' group blog: Great shit, just ask Noble. More on Bolivia and other stuff soon. Get out of my face and go reinvigorate your life and your belief in love by seeing my favorite movie from the last 20 years, Spring Forward.

No comments: