The whirlwind trip was just that. At Haverford, I stayed with Tim Haupt in our senior dorm Lloyd all over again, and learned to slack, smoke, and self-excuse all over again. Our night out on the Main Line was particularly memorable, which maybe makes up for the fact that my two stops in Philly haven't yet produced the housing situation I'm looking for for me and (the other) Tim (Walls). In D.C. I had Middle Eastern food and watched some Family Guy with Zack & Seiffert, and in North Carolina I saw my cousins, got sick, and went with Wilson and Carrie to find out what a hippy haven Asheville actally is. It's like California in a post-insustrial North Carolina downtown ... independent record stores, 2nd hand clothing & smoke shops under older brick and marble buildings. You get the feeling that the tobacco era has given way to the era of another smokeable product. I was feeling nasty in my lungs during those days (non-pot-related) but at least I got to hike up Lookout Mountain once.
My second visit to Richmond and the estimable estate of Tish & Mike went great ... they grilled me two burgers, set up the outdoor hearth for smores & even got me a Maudite. I'm jonesing to do some biking or camping with them when I move back up there. My step-brother Richard also came by to say hi and we talked a while. The resturn to Philly put me in nasty traffic and was a bit hectic, but that night in Houston I got to chill out and hit the tail end of the Gay Pride Parade with Lindsay. W & C crashed out before going to Austin in the morning, where I saw them this past weekend, albeit in the midst of some cat catastrophes. Seems some neighbor may be putting out the antifreeze.
In the few days in between I scrambled to get some work done and also slept a whole, whole lot ... I was much sicker than I had thought when I was on the road. But I did have time to catch up with Alethea a couple of times ... we talked about her maybe moving to Austin and within days she'd done it! She sent me a text yesterday to tell me she got the job with Dell and was on her way within 2 weeks. Meanwhile Tim (Haupt) is in Paris right now, though I don't know if he saw the beginning of the Tour de France on Sunday. I also had time last week to stop by for a Gente de Teatro rehearsal to see what they're working on for the fall - "El día que me quieras" about Carlos Gardel. Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun ...
Lu got back from Hawaii yesterday, where she seems to have had a helluva good time ... we had lunch at Chuy's just to get her back in the Texas mode. Also saw the last Star Wars, what the hell it was fun.
So I gotta get back to everything I need to do today before leaving for Mexico tommorrow. More updates as events warrant ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment