Saturday, November 26, 2005

Multiple uses for white baseball pants

My urgent desire to stop being a slob and get into better shape (I was doing pretty well in October) led me to go for a jog this evening in what might have been unadvisably cold weather. Fortuneately the bottom half of my Thanksgiving costume came in handy ... all-white baseball pants that had helped me become Freddie Mercury. So ... I just got back from NYC, where I spent the day with Tim and Ellen after Thanksgiving at Ellen's parents' house in NE-NJ (Upper Saddle Something). Tim and I stayed over at J.R.'s house, the musician-turned-model who we had both met through my brother on trips to Denton. We also saw some galleries with Ellen's younger brother and finished the night seeing two improv troupes at the UCB. I have yet to decide whether I want to (or can, time-wise) get back into that. I feel like I'm taking on every aspect of my life with an extreme level of patience, a.k.a. wait-and-see attitude. I want to be an Old Testament guy with 900 years left to live.

Sorry about all the delays in blog writing, mostly occasioned by my computer loss last month. I have a new computer that sometimes works, thanks to a generous laptop donation by my former Haverford prof Israel Burshatin and about $300 in repairs.

Things are going well w/ roommate Tim, though we see eachother less now that home-heating energy concerns force us to spend 90% of the time with bedroom doors closed and separate space heaters blaring. I dislike the cold intensely, but sometimes it gives me a lot of energy ... or forces me to be really still, alone by myself under a blanket, doing something intimate and personal like writing in my journal. Maybe I should be doing school work.

As far as the update, last weekend was spent in Baltimore with Jose and Henny, very fun. Among other things we saw the amazing-yet-creepy "Great Blacks in Wax" Museum, including a reproduction of a slave ship, lynchings, and tortures of various kinds. That's one way to bear witness I guess. Also saw the grave of Edgar Allen Poe, bien sûr! Next week I'll head to DC for a party and possibly also to Atlantic City to see a concert.

Holiday time, oui oui!
[I passed my french test as part of the doctoral program. 2nd time, since I did it at Rice too. Still don't know how to say some really basic stuff tho.]

2 comments:

Jose said...

Congrats on passing your French test!!! I just came back from Bernadeta's birthday party and I'm pretty drunk... oops! Well, I can see enough to see you passed the test. Vive la France!!! Vive Miterrand and Chirac!! Vive Bushe! (with e)
María y David preguntaron por ti.
-Jose.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.