Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Scatalogical Impulse

Purification update: mid-February I quit caffeine, early April I quit cigarettes, and no I am beginning to work on junk food some. Plus this week I'm doing GNC's "Complete Body Cleansing Program," a 7-day herbal detox that requires an organic diet and low-to-no dairy. We shall see ... Still no sleep and little exercise (this semester is INSAAAANE, read last post), but I'll work on that over summer. Man, I am really strung out right now. Every possible challenge at once.

Let's see, what else? Concerts this Spring have included (but are not limited to) Rjd2, Mates of State, Silver Jews, Regina Spektor, Metric and Death Vessel. Philly is damn good for music I've decided. Check out www.r5productions.com.

Not many trips. One to NYC a couple of weekends ago to give a paper at Columbia. This weekend Ellen and I go to Memphis.

Last month, I was about a block away from a chase that resulted in a cop being shot. I had just driven through said block (about a block from my house) 30 seconds before it happened. Unfortuneately, this experience has diappointed me as it has not given me my requisite "new lease on life" nor resolve to "cherish each day" nor "live for the moment." Fate, you will have to do better than that.

As far as this summer, after my next month of hellish work giving, taking, and grading finals and writing research papers, I'm going to Bolivia for a month. Yay! It's called a Summer Research Travel Grant, I love this! Tentative plan: 2 weeks in Cochabamba to work on Aymara, one week in La Paz, then one week in Chile. Late June, July, and early August I'll be teaching a summer Spanish class at U. Penn. Then August I've got some re-writing to do, plus likely a move. But it should be a chill month. Have engaged in idle talk about a mountain biking trip to Canada with Francisco, a Spaniard from my program.

So what does Jesus have in common with the Easter Egg?
"Dyed for Us"

No comments: