Friday, April 08, 2005

Slicing through a trans-continental Gordian knot


So I have to decide ... the potentially Faustian bargain of beautiful Santa Cruz & its Literature Department, where everything is about theory, interdisciplinarity and academic freedom to learn about just about anything (in the paradisical environment you see above), or the solid, prestigious, Romance Languages department of Penn, well-funded, conviniently-situated geographically, able to provide money for summer study in a foreign country, & likely a good bet for job placement. Gonna take just a few more days. In the meantime, a couple of days after getting back from CA, where I had a lot of fun hiking, drinking, talking, & visiting Google with Stephan ... and somewhat less fun during my brief visit with Kass at an (albeit tasty) Indian resatuant of Stephan's recommending ... I decided to go out to Austin for the day with Jose. We hit some cafes, the Half-Price Books, walked around, and went to the 1st Thursday fashion festival on South Congress with Wilson, Carrie, & friend Sarah (who asked alot about Argentina). Their vote was California, as is my advisor Kate's, but I'm not convinced. I'm going to talk with a professor there, Juan Poblete, on Monday or Tuesday.

No comments: