Sunday, April 17, 2005

Yossarian's on his last sorties (he hopes).

When is the expatriate Thai community going to get it's act together and issue a standard spiciness-rating system? You can get really burned with that stuff, but at the same time (as I experienced today) even "medium" and "spicy" sometimes don't pack enough punch. Even worse is when you read the menu and they use the #-of-cute-little-red-pepper-icons rating system. What does that mean? It also seems that a dish can potentially have an unlimited number of pepper icons ... whatever doesn't mess up the printing margin on the menu. I'm just going to stick to my tried-and-true stomach fireworks, like this morning's jalapeño bagel with jalapeño cream cheese and acidic coffee at the Hot Bagel Shop. Soo ... ... last night I broke away from thesis for a little while to have a few beers with Jose at Beradetta and Gerard's place. They were trying to get me to stay late and goof off, but we left early ... hard to keep from getting distracted right now; it's springtime in the Spotted Mind. I really like the beer I bought last night - Dogfish Head's Raison d'être - very flavorful and interesting, not to mention strong. It's made in Rehoboth Beach Delaware, where my family has vacationed a couple of times. Friday I met up with Casey's friend Lu, who is so nice, and we had a great time. We went over to the Onion Creek, where I was happy to see they had a couple of guys from Lafayette (or was it Lake Charles?) doing a crayfish broil, though those definitely were TOO spicy. Or maybe it was just the combination with the Duvel beer. This is really turning into an entry on food and drink, yes? Changing gears, late that night I was sitting on my porch when I heard some crashing of something falling and shattering of glass next door, after which two guys took off running, first into the house down the street where Hao Chen used to live and then off towards Rice. I haven't mentioned it to anyone, but then again no one has to me. I feel like maybe it could be a prank. Two doors down they are constructing a new townhome ... I guess that could have been where they were playing. Reminds me of late-nite construction site visits with Zack and Andrew Seiffert when we were seniors at Haverford. I guess I'll stop by tommorrow and ask the construction workers if any serious damage was done ... or whether they're interested in my lead on the perps. Anyway, rounding out the Weekend Food Update, Saturday breakfast was at the Avalon Diner, where I hadn't been back in a while. Bacon bits in a square omlette with hash browns on the side ... now there's a meal you can call home about. Also, in the tried-and-true category, El Pueblito later on Friday night. And now time to take it easy on my wallet and belt-line for a little while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noble, yes, I do read your postings. I'll write more soon.

Anonymous said...

I read them too, I'm just really bad about posting comments. (pero no es por flojera ) Good luck on your thesis! ... oh and I'm glad I'm not the only one that coughs on the nook of my elbow. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Where did you go? You haven´t posted in a month. How am I supposed to procrastinate at work?