Saturday, March 26, 2005

Drilling down to the Mesosphere

I let myself get way too stressed about that talk and about academic work in general, and I think I got carried away. Too much living on the troposhphere, that is: (1) thinking about what I have to do, (2) worrying about what I haven't done, and (3) smoking. I'm making an effort to drill down to the mesosphere of my existence, to feel the life-behind-the-life, the deep truths about myself that provide stability when all else in in flux. And, to complete the tired metaphor, I gotta get distracted by the little phenomena in the stratosphere, whether or not I have time.

Last night I saw a lite movie for the first time in forever ... went with a cool person who really made me feel better and more relaxed ... and definitely someone who's not academic nor concerned with putting on airs. I can't think of the last time -- if ever -- I went to see a popular movie in its opening weekend on Friday night date night. The place was chock full ... every seat in the stadium seating.

The movie was a re-make of Guess who's coming to dinner (Tracy & Hepburn, Sidney Poitier), but it's the reverse ... black girl brings home a white boy (to Bernie Mac).

I'm not going to analyze it, no, resist the temptaion. I was sitting in the theater thinking, don't deconstruct, don't deconstruct, just watch slapstick scenes and laugh.

Plans are to work today on piled up grading and maybe get to planning for next week. Will likely go out tonight if anyone's interested ...

No comments: